Legend (Book Review)

Legend by Marie Lu
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

[BEWARE: THIS DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS]
This book wasn't particularly bad, I just feel that after all the dystopian novels I have read (including the Hunger Games, Uglies , Unwind. All of which I fell in love with.) I have became sort of a critic to this sort of genre. Especially when the dystopian involves romance.
I didn't find the plot-line particularly believable. June is already too young for the school that she is in and they are making her a full blown agent just because her brother dies? Can't see that happening. Sorry. 

Something else that through me off was how quickly June decided that Thomas was the killer. Just automatically thought that he couldn't be trusted. She was so quick to decide that Day was right about everything instead of the people that had protected her for her entire life. 

What must have annoyed me the most was the romance. I know that this was the first book in a series but really?! One kiss and you decide that he can't be that bad. The romance should have been either fleshed out a lot more or just completely taken out. It annoyed me to no end. 

Some things I did like: 
*The use of the character Kaede. Maybe some other people expected her to come in handy later in the novel, but I didn't. 
*The setting. I really like some of the details of the republic and how different states are fighting with or against each other. There is a lot that is possible with this. 

Did I have problems with this book? Yes. Would I read the sequel? No. Was it absolutely unreadable? No. 
3 points out of 5.

0 comments:

Post a Comment